Friday, June 29, 2007

Week 6, Thing 13

If I had just looked at Us.ef.ful, I would have been reluctant to try Del.icio.us.
I found it too long and it made Del.icio.us sound quite complicated. I was much more hopeful after looking at Several Habits of Wildly Sussessful Del.icio.us Users.
Looking at thePLCMC interesting....I hadn't realized how many public libraries are blogging. Is this a possibility for our new website? I also read the YALSA's Positive Use of Social Networks, which provided a lot of food for thought, and gave me a better perspective on social networking and how libraries can take advantage of this technology.
When I explored the listed libraries, I found several items that interested me, such as Sachem Public Library Reader's Advisory and libsite.org
It was very easy to create an account and add favorites. I added 6 Reader's Advisory sites, including the Sachem Public Library one that I mentioned earlier. And I really like having the buttons on my toolbar! The only problem with installing them was that I had to wait until my shift was over so that I could close the windows on my computer.
Now that I understand tagging better, I do see the possibilities for using Del.icio.us as a tool for research. And it's so easy to access from your toolbar. For someone who telecommutes, it's especially useful that you can have "bookmarks" or favorites that aren't stored on your computer. Del.icio.us allows access from anywhere.
I located my reader's advisory sites by using Del.icio.us tags and also added some tags to some of the sites.


No comments: